Communications Common Carriers
A substantial portion of the telecommunications industry practice includes the representation of entities that comprise the communications common carrier industry. Clients in this area include: incumbent local exchange telephone companies ("ILECs"), facilities-based and resale long-distance telephone companies ("interexchange carriers"), competitive local exchange providers ("CLECs"), operator services providers ("OSPs"), personal communications system ("PCS") providers, cellular telephone systems, international wireline, domestic and international fiber optic and message communications carriers, wireless and cellular mobile telephone, mobile paging and other two-way communications systems and other commercial mobile radio service providers, call processing providers, satellite system operators and common carrier equipment manufacturers. We provide the following services to this industry segment:
Representation before FCC
- obtaining radio licenses (microwave, private, industrial, other mobile, paging, PCS, cellular, satellite earth and space stations), equipment certifications and other FCC authorizations including certificates of public convenience and necessity for commencement, changes in and discontinuance of service, whether domestic or international.
- preparing and filing tariffs for interstate communications services and advising clients on compliance with FCC rate and tariff regulations.
- representing carriers in rate and tariff hearings and in complaint, enforcement and property transfer proceedings.
- advising and preparing applications and bidding for radio frequencies in spectrum auctions.
Representation before state public utility commissions
- obtaining certificates of public convenience and necessity and other authorizations from state public utility commissions to offer or discontinue offering intrastate telecommunications services.
- counseling on compliance with state utility laws, regulations and policies.
- trying state public utility commission rate, tariff and other hearings;
- participating in property transfer, show cause, and rulemaking proceedings;
- defending clients before state Commissions and Attorneys General on consumer fraud complaints and associated proceedings.
- Obtaining approval of interconnection agreements and associated arbitrations.
Representation before courts
- seeking judicial review of FCC decisions by U.S. District Courts and U.S. Court of Appeals.
- prosecuting and defending appeals of state commission and administrative decisions to state and federal courts.
- prosecuting and defending complaints to federal courts to enforce FCC Orders for payment of overcharges.
- challenging tax assessments on utility property or services by federal and state taxing authorities.
- obtaining review of interconnection agreements and relevant associated state public utility commission decisions;
- seeking eminent domain and easement proceedings.
Transactional advice and counsel
- advising and counseling telecommunication companies and telecommunications infrastructure providers on general corporate, securities and financing matters.
- advising the entities on mergers and acquisitions, and regulatory clients.
- negotiating and preparing agreements and contracts for franchises, easements, rights-of-way, fiber optic lines, conduit occupancy and license, interconnection arrangements, inter-carrier services, disposition of new properties, billing and collection services, access services, special construction, and transfers of exchanges between LECs.